[Noisebridge-discuss] mongodb and noisebridge

Praveen Sinha dmhomee at gmail.com
Wed Jul 22 18:17:49 UTC 2015

This is a genuine discussion, which IMHO shouldn't be offlist.  If someone
came and wanted to give mongodb tutorials, I clearly wouldn't mind.
However, the fact that it is an employee of mongodb sets a different bar
for me -- an employee using nb resources for further corporate development
(no matter how chic it seems to have nosql + neuroscience discussions).

And Jehan, my rent-seeking *is* blatant intentionally because we are
otherwise a starving community space.  A community space is not co-working
space, it's not an incubator. I put my sweat and money into these spaces in
order to give people access to technology production they otherwise would
not have.  Which is why I bring up gentrification:  having office hours
empowers mongodb and the folks that already are connected enough to
understand what nosql is and why they may want to use it.  My further
question is:  what would mongodb be doing to reach out to folks in our
community that aren't so connected and empowered?

If we let this happen, then why not host corporate apple hackathons for
free in our space?  Why draw the line at open source?  Why not let popular
apple host closed source API workshops in our space for free?  I suspect
that for some people on this list that would be perfectly fine.

Also this is a fine line --  I *do * support mutual aid of up and coming
entrepreneurs. I do support giving commercial space to folks inside our
community access to develop and bring their stuff to market.  I have no
problems with Mitch selling his electronics at our space -- but on the same
token Mitch spends hours and hours reaching out to the very poor and
disconnected teaching valuable skills.  There is a big difference.