[Noisebridge-discuss] Digital Rights in Libraries Un/Conference at Noisebridge !

April Glaser april.glaser at riseup.net
Mon Jun 8 22:13:35 UTC 2015

Hi everyone,

We are getting so excited about our upcoming un/conference at
Noisebridge on June 29-30, Digital Rights in Libraries. I'll be at this
Tuesday's meeting to check in about it all.

We've got some killer speakers lined up:
https://libraryfreedomproject.org/digital-rights-in-libraries/digital-rights-in-libraries-schedule/

For those who are unaware, please check our our press release and poster
that I've pasted below! Also, the Library Freedom Project has had some
fun media lately (here
<http://www.onthemedia.org/story/librarians-vs-patriot-act/?utm_source=local&utm_medium=treatment&utm_campaign=daMost&utm_content=damostviewed>
and here
<http://www.thenation.com/article/206561/librarians-versus-nsa>), if
you're curious.

Additionally and importantly, we could use a few technology trainers to
help with some of our open sandbox privacy tools sessions. We know a lot
of librarians want to build some skills, and so in these sessions we
were hoping to have ample technology trainers available to help
participants learn as much as possible.

The times we're looking for people to come by and help are:

Monday, June 29 @ 2-3
Monday, June 29 @ 4-5
Tuesday, June 30 @ 2:30-3:30
Tuesday, June 30 @ 5:30-6:30

Let me know if you might be available or have any questions. Also let me
know if you know someone else who might be interested. Or anything at all.

Peace. And thanks a million,
April

---

DRiL

*Librarians Convene With Leading Anti-Surveillance Advocates and
Technologists In San Francisco to Defend Digital Rights – June 29-30, 2015*

Librarians, technologists, and privacy activists and are gathering in
San Francisco on June 29-30 to strategize about initiatives to protect
reader privacy, reform digital lending, combat censorship, and champion
access to information technology in light of emerging concerns over
government surveillance, censorship, and other forms of electronic
exploitation of personal data.

The two-day event
<https://libraryfreedomproject.org/digital-rights-in-libraries/digital-rights-in-libraries-schedule/>,
which will take place at San Francisco's iconic Noisebridge hackerspace,
falls directly after the American Library Association’s Annual
Conference; it's also being held in San Francisco this year.

Attorneys from the American Civil Liberties Union and the Electronic
Frontier Foundation, who are leading lawsuits challenging the legality
of the National Security Agency's mass surveillance programs, will
present, along with experts on copyright and the future of digital
lending from Creative Commons and the Internet Archive. Technologists
from the Freedom of the Press Foundation (where Edward Snowden is a
board member) and Mozilla will be onsite providing in-depth technology
training at the hackerspace. The event also features librarians from a
number of libraries, including the San Francisco and Oakland Public
Library systems, as well as Oakland-based Hack the Hood, speaking on the
challenges of providing access to technology and training for Bay Area
youth.

Librarians have long been working on the front lines of information
activism and their communities' right to research. Whether by providing
access to technology and the Internet, as well as free education, or by
standing firm for over a decade as staunch opponents of the USA PATRIOT
Act, librarians are at the grassroots of the Internet freedom debate and
are uniquely plugged into serving the information needs of local
communities, especially those that lack technological or financial
resources.

The conference is being organized by the Library Freedom Project, a
recent grantee from the Knight Foundation that is a partnership among
librarians, technologists, attorneys, and advocates to teach librarians
about surveillance threats, digital rights, and privacy-protecting
technology. The Nation Magazine recently featured
<http://www.thenation.com/article/206561/librarians-versus-nsa> the work
of the Library Freedom Project as a cover story.

What: "Digital Rights in Libraries"