[Noisebridge-discuss] Bay Area Renter's Federation @ Noisebridge

Garrett Smith dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 00:12:55 UTC 2015

typical statist mentality.

central planners are doing what I want so the hell with anyone who has
self determination or the gumption to actually try anything on their
own.

On 11/4/15, Winston Wolff <winstonw at stratolab.com> wrote:
> I am happy to be packed into a city. It's the density of urban environments
> that enables efficient transportation (i.e. I don't own a car), lots of
> people walking about and the critical mass to support the things cities
> offer (I like restaurants, I used to go see music before I had kids).
>
> Not everybody likes cities so we also have suburbs. It seems like a good
> arrangement to me—everybody can pick the environment they like to live in
> (assuming they can afford it.)

Let me shine some light on that.

Sustainable development takes tax money — from everywhere — and puts
it into PDAs (Priority Development Areas).

Money is redistributed to the cities through RHNA, HUD, and many
others. The redistribution service is not free; we pay for that, too.
(Thank the service of Internal Revenue; under the Treasury Dept.)
Remaining money isn't redistributed to rural areas; unless to tear up
its paved roads to make them gravel.

There are (still) suburbs; we don't have them. Whether or not you or I
like suburbs personally is another matter (and this is getting to the
concept of self-determination and free will). I don't care what you
like.

Sustainable housing includes the all-black NEMA building, get LEED
certified, adjacent to the LEED building with the methane-emitting
fire pit (dirty burning nat gas, and AIRC CH4 has ~300x the GWP of
CO2). Trust your planners, they're going to save you from the problems
they're causing, while they contradict themselves by causing more.
--
Garrett
@xkit