[Noisebridge-discuss] soldering copper sheet metal

jim jim at well.com
Fri Nov 6 19:57:32 UTC 2015

     I've uploaded photos of my failed attempts to
solder copper sheet metal :

http://www.systemateka.com/Copper/

     Each of the three jpg files shows the same things
from different camera POVs.

     The longest copper strip separates the foreground
attempts, tried various types of glues from the
background attempts, tries with various types of
solder and flux.

     The soldering iron advertised 950 degrees F; the
(blue) propane advertised 2000 degrees F; the (yellow)
MAP advertised about 3000 degrees F.
     Each got the copper (30 gauge and 24 gauge) hot
enough to melt the solder. The propane was hot enough
to get the copper bright rid. The MAP was hot enough
to vaporize the copper and let a little drop of
molton copper fall.

     My interpretation of the dark brown residue on
the pieces in back is that is cooked rosin.

     I've tried various glues: goop, water weld,
super glue, krazy glue, liquid nails.... None of
them hold enough to resist being pulled apart (with
mild force).

     I believe it'll be best for us to find someone
who can do the work: we have various models to show.

     Anybody interested in taking this project on? My
guess is four to eight hours total, flexible time.

Hopefully, with thanks,
jim