[Noisebridge-discuss] Elevator gate: need steel square tubing

Henner Zeller h.zeller at acm.org
Sun Sep 13 18:39:20 UTC 2015

Hi,

To make it possible to open the elevator gate with an RFID token, we
need to put an electric strike in the current 'door frame' which is
just a steel tube mounted to the wall.
I have a strike, but that won't fit inside the current steel tube
(which is about 1 1/4" square).

Jarrod and I were looking into the situation yesterday and concluded
that best would be to replace the tube (it also needs a little
re-arrangement to better fit the gate, which anyway requires is to
move mounting holes a bit).

The inner space in the tube needs to be about > 1" wide (the current
tube fits that), but about 1.5" deep for the strike to fit.
So for best results, we should replace the tube with a different one
that can comfortably hold the strike, I'd guess a 1.5" x 3" with
0.188" wall thickness (or even 0.120") would be a good choice. Length
roughly 7'.

Other suggestions welcome (mabye a 'real' door frame ? Different door
? But these options sounds way more expensive).

There is cold rolled and hot rolled steel, but I don't know what is
the best choice for this kind of application.
If someone knows a place where we can get something like this for
cheap, that would be great. If not, I'll check out options to get it
nearby or get it delivered.

-h