[Noisebridge-discuss] Shortwave radio?

aaronco36 aaronco36 at fastmail.fm
Wed Jan 13 17:34:04 UTC 2016

Travis Briggs audiodude at gmail.com wrote:
> I was given a Tecsun PL-380 <http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0035X1EC2>
> AM/FM/Shortwave radio for Christmas. The FM works great. The AM works
> great. But I cannot for the life of me pick up a single shortwave station.
>
> I asked in a different forum and someone suggested that the radio might
> just be defective in the shortwave band, so I returned it and got another
> one of the same product from a different vendor on Amazon. However, the
> same issue is occurring.
>
> I understand that my apartment might not be the best place for picking up
> radio stations, but not one?
>
> Also, I have to admit that I haven't manually scanned every SW station.
> This is just the result from using the ETM and ATS features on the radio --
> it can't find a single station.
>
> Any advice?

You might also want to look into building and using your own inexpensive
DIY SW broomstick antenna.
See ...
- 'A compact, easy-to-build shortwave antenna The Broomstick Special'
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/special/bromstik.html
- 'The Broomstick Special, Part 2'
http://www.hard-core-dx.com/nordicdx/antenna/special/broom2.html
- eHow's similar 'How to Build a Shortwave Radio Antenna'
http://www.ehow.com/how_4855036_build-shortwave-radio-antenna.html

* FWIW, it must have been ~4 years ago, well before the Great
Rebase/Reboot of 2013, that I brought one of these very broomstick
antennas to Noisebridge for possible use by interested hamradio+sw fans.

Maybe others associated with NB's Cyberspectrum:Software Defined Radio
group can chime in here as well?; their event webpage is
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Cyberspectrum

-A

http://www.fastmail.com - Or how I learned to stop worrying and
                          love email again