[Noisebridge-discuss] Heat press not functional, repair help needed.

Josh Juran jjuran at gmail.com
Mon Jan 18 06:24:41 UTC 2016

On Jan 17, 2016, at 6:33 PM, Henner Zeller <h.zeller at acm.org> wrote:

> On 17 January 2016 at 15:07,  <ng.kyle at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey sorry I understand but I determined that it was a do-ocratically
>> excellent thing to do at the time. Lesson learned.
>
> It is perfectly excellent, just make sure to fix with the right fuse
> to not verschlimmbessern it (German expression for: attempting to
> improve something but making it worse in the process).

I'm going to recommend that people stop describing do-ocracy as meaning that you should "just do" a thing without asking permission.  My observation is that this idea is harmful.

Instead, consider that do-ocracy means that the answer to "who's supposed to do X?" (where X is something currently going undone) is whomever is asking the question.  That doesn't mean that X is a good idea, that the community has consensed on it, or that people won't be upset if X is done (or attempted unsuccessfully).  It only means that you shouldn't expect someone else to do it for you.

Josh