[Noisebridge-discuss] MaptimeSF at Noisebridge potentially

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Jun 7 06:47:18 UTC 2016

Hi Matthew, thanks for suggesting to run this event at Noisebridge! I think
Maptime is a great group and I believe Noisebridge would be happy to host
such events. I'd recommend you check out our Hosting and Event wiki page
and potentially come to a Tuesday night meeting so you could introduce
yourself to the group and get some members to support you in running this
event...

https://noisebridge.net/wiki/Hosting_an_Event

On 1 June 2016 at 21:25, Matthew McKenna <mpmckenna8 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Noisebridge,
>
> I’d like to help organize a Maptime meeting about once a month at
> Noisebridge. Maptime is an open learning environment for all levels and
> degrees of knowledge, offering educational support for beginners and a
> platform for those who want to share their knowledge.  For a more in-depth
> look at what Maptime is all about check out the website http://maptime.io/
> .
>

> Some projects I have in mind would be to have a night where we try to
> render maps and map animations on the FlaschenTaschen and another is having
> people make handrawn maps and reviewing going over some basic cartographic
> principles.
>
> There are already a bunch of learning materials and lesson plans
> http://maptime.io/lessons-resources/ which just need excellent space and
> people.  I brought one of the main organizers to the space Tuesday and he
> thinks it would be great for smaller Maptime meetings and project night
> type things.  We were going to attend the general meeting (for 2016 05
> 31) but it didn’t seem to be happening so I’ll try again next week.
>
> Ideally we could meet in Church, as a fair number of people usually RSVP
> and show up to MaptimeSFs.  Friday afternoon or evening looked pretty free
> from the wiki but I’ll be sure to check in person also.  Initially thinking
> the third Friday of each month.
>
> Let me know if you’d be interested in helping out or have any
> suggestions.  I also recommend checking out the MaptimeOak hack night
> http://www.meetup.com/Maptime-SF/events/230250574/ if you can make it and
> you’re interested in geostuff.
>

> Matthew McKenna
> mpmckenna8 at gmail.com