[Noisebridge-discuss] arduino dmx receiver

Phillip Pearson pp at myelin.nz
Thu Mar 31 22:40:36 UTC 2016

Thanks!  The boards are my own design -- an ISO3088 chip plus isolated
DC-DC converter, and Neutrik connectors.

I can confirm that the DMX code out there for Arduino and friends is a bit
flaky :)  As Mitch says, though, DMX code written for the Duemilanove
should work fine on an Uno, because it uses either GPIO or HardwareSerial;
the FTDI chip isn't required.

I haven't tried receiving DMX on an Arduino, but I've implemented DMX
reception on a Freescale KE04 ARM chip, and it's not super hard.  The only
tricky part is that the DMX packet starts with a 'break', where the data
line is held low for ~50 us (12.5 bit times).  This will show up as a
framing error, and is probably what you need to edit hardwareserial.cpp
for.  I won't have time for a few days, but when I get these boards up and
running I'll see about hooking one to an Arduino and testing out some
receive code there.  I've been using a Teensy and a USB-DMX adapter
(Chinese uDMX clone) on the sending side so far.

Cheers,
Phil