[Noisebridge-discuss] Intro to Crypto course

Rob M veryprofessionalguy at gmail.com
Fri May 27 17:21:42 UTC 2016

I was going to ask about the syllabus, but there's one right on the link.

I'll paste the syllabus below for the mail list only crowd :)

Week 1

Section 1: what is cryptography about?
Section 2: crash course in discrete probability
Stream Ciphers 1: the one-time pad and stream ciphers
Stream Ciphers 2: attacks and common mistakes
Stream Ciphers 3: real-world examples
Stream Ciphers 4: what is a secure cipher?
Week 1 Review Questions and Programming Project

Week 2

Block Ciphers 1: overview
Block Ciphers 2: The Data Encryption Standard
Block Ciphers 3: AES and other constructions
How to Use Block Ciphers 1: one-time key
How to Use Block Ciphers 2: many-time key

Week 3

Message Integrity 1: definitions
Message Integrity 2: constructions
Message Integrity 3: more constructions
Collision Resistance 1: what is a collision resistant function?
Collision Resistance 2: constructions
HMAC: a MAC from a hash function

Week 4

Authenticated Encryption 1: why is it so important?
Authenticated Encryption 2: standard constructions
Authenticated Encryption 3: pitfalls
Odds and Ends 1: how to derive keys
Odds and Ends 2: searching on encrypted data
Odds and Ends 3: disk encryption and creditcard encryption

Week 5

Basic Key Exchange 1: problem statement
Basic Key Exchange 2: two solutions
Number Theory 1: modular arithmetic
Number Theory 2: easy and hard problems

Week 6

Public Key Encryption from Trapdoor Permutations
Public Key Encryption from Trapdoor Permutations: RSA
Public Key Encryption from Trapdoor Permutations: attacks
Public Key Encryption From Diffie-Hellman: ElGamal
Public Key Encryption: summary