[Noisebridge-discuss] opinions on 3d printers these days

Alex Merlin Glowaski alex.glowaski at gmail.com
Tue May 31 03:14:35 UTC 2016

Not sure how it stacks up against others on the market now, but I've been
using a super-portable Deezmaker Bukito (http://bukito3d.com/features/) and
frickin' love it. The crazy little beast came with us on a hackathon tour
across the US, suffering through inelegant car packings and even being
checked as luggage in a non-hard case – twice! – and the most I ever had to
do was adjust the build plate height. That's easily accomplished with a
Philips-head screwdriver.

Recently, after about a year of use, the extruder head has gotten jammed;
once I fix it, we'll be jamming again.

It's awesome if you need only a smallish build volume (5"x6"x5") and no
heated plate. Prints via USB or from a microSD card. Can print upside-down
:) Light, smart, and resilient. Works easily with Cura / gcode. Plus, you
can go visit them in LA!

On Mon, May 30, 2016 at 5:53 PM, Jonathan Mayer <jonathan.mayer at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear Noisebridge folks,
>
> A lot of you have played with various 3D printers, and I'm looking for
> opinions on who's making the best printer for under $1000 these days.
>  "Asking for a friend."  (Though actually asking for a friend.)
>
> My friend is mostly looking into additive PLA printing, but is open to
> other options.  He's already looked pretty closely at Printrbot Simple and
> Flashforge Finder.  We both already had extensive experience with Makerbot
> (Replicator 2 is still the best printer they've made, but exceeds the price
> point).
>
> My friend values reliability -- he'd rather be focusing his time on
> fiddling with the things he's making rather than fiddling with the printer.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Jonathan.

yours truly ☆ alexglow.com
my fave hardware projects ☆ hackster.io/lists/alex
<http://sayat.me/alexglow>