[Noisebridge-discuss] Cypherpunks Write Code: First Meetup next Saturday 11/3 @ Noisebridge!

Steve Phillips steve at tryingtobeawesome.com
Fri Nov 4 11:58:29 UTC 2016

Hey all,

I talked to some Noisebridge Members (with a capital 'M') at the Tuesday
weekly meeting who said I should make sure to tell people here that
Noisebridge is (awesomely) down to host the first event for my new Meetup
group -- *Cypherpunks Write Code
<https://www.meetup.com/Cypherpunks-Write-Code/>*, which exists to
galvanize the hacker/developer and designer communities to contribute to
free, open source, privacy-enhancing software that the world desperately
needs.

Thank you, Noisebridge!

Saturday 11/3 event description:

*Since the Snowden revelations: more people use Tor! More people use
Signal! Snowden is safe!*

*But perhaps these facts have lulled us to sleep exactly when the world
needs cypherpunks to buckle down most, before digital human privacy is
simply gone; almost all privacy-enhancing software development is being
poured into nearly-identical secure messaging apps, after all, rather than
protecting the many other things we do with software (which we'll talk
about, too).*

*I (Steve Phillips) will cover the surveillance realities confronting us,
what has been done to protect netizens from suspicionless surveillance thus
far, and which (types of) privacy-enhancing projects seem to be most
critical for us developers and designers to contribute to most urgently.*

*Then we'll open it up to group discussion to talk more about all of the
above and more, including your ideas for which projects deserve our
attention and should perhaps be the focus of our very first Cypherpunks
Write Code hackathon -- at our next event in just a few weeks.*

*6:30pm - Arrive*

*6:45pm - Talk + Group discussion*

*8:30pm - End (approximate time; feel free to leave earlier if you need to,
or stick around longer!)*

*I look forward to meeting you all! Let's do this.*

This event is *Saturday 11/3 at 6:30pm at Noisebridge*.  You can RSVP here:
https://www.meetup.com/Cypherpunks-Write-Code/events/235214356/

After this intro event, the next Cypherpunks Write Code will be like most
of our events -- a completely action-oriented hackathon with ~2 featured
projects during which *cypherpunks write code* (either for the featured
projects or other privacy-enhancing/encryption software of their
choosing).  There will also be interviews and other input from the minds
behind these projects, and from activists, journalists, and other targeted
groups who have especially urgent privacy needs -- and can therefore use
our help the most.

See you there
<https://www.meetup.com/Cypherpunks-Write-Code/events/235214356/>!

--Steve