[Noisebridge-discuss] Vice interview this week?!?

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon May 8 03:31:29 UTC 2017

On Sun, May 07, 2017 at 03:29:44AM +0000, Zach R wrote:
>Can someone tell me more about this?  I would really prefer we *not* do
>this interview and would definitely block this as a consensus item.
>
>Vice is a freaking horrible media channel.  They had GIANT picture of a
>guy ripping off a sheeps genitals with his mouth posted up around my
>house for months (among other bad shit).  They are the lowest of the
>low in yellow journalism...  #notexcellent imo.
>
>...but maybe there's some info I'm missing?  can someone fill me in?

Vice has its awful bits to be sure, but they also do quality journalism
particularly in the hacker space.  They employ two of the best infosec
journalists in the world, Joseph Cox and Lorenzo Francheschi-Bicchierai.

In particular, here's some recent good stuff:
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/worlds-most-secure-email-service-is-easily-hackable
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/motherboard-tv-nyc-resistor-making-awesome-things-happen
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/we-talked-to-a-witch-who-casts-viruses-out-of-computers-with-magic
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/this-hip-hop-track-has-better-opsec-advice-than-most-guides-out-there
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/lauri-love-opens-up-about-his-fight-against-extradition-to-the-us
https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/hackers-why-they-hit-stalkerware-flexispy-retina-x

What with NYT platforming a climate change denialist and the Boston
Globe going soft nazi, never mind WaPo's foreign policy, I'll take
journalism where I can find it these days.

-andy