[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Meeting 10/10/2017

jim jim at well.com
Thu Oct 12 21:59:05 UTC 2017

     seems to me the elevator fund should provide some
money, mostly enough to pay all or most of anticipated
parts required: what kinds of parts are we likely to
need, where to get (or make) them (* optional story
below *), what cost each?
     should be okay that the fund is somewhat insufficient;
it should be enough for any small parts and near enough
for likely expensive parts.

     v. bad idea to pay NB members for their time working
to improve the place.

[* optional story, a great hack in the desert *]
     An American on adventure drove through the Baja
peninsula. Roads and heat were rough. At some point
the vehicle threw a rod (metal link between a piston
and engine crank).
     The American was used to going to parts stores. No
parts stores in the Baja desert, but there was a woman
who lived there. The American approached her and asked
where were parts stores?
     The woman asked what was wrong. He explained. She
told him it was okay, there were no parts stores, but
she could fix the problem.
     The two of them dismantled the engine to the point
they could extract the broken rod. The woman took the
two pieces of the rod and pressed them together into
the desert sand.
     She then got out an oxy-acetylene torch and blasted
the two pieces of the rod until they melted. Pressed
into the soil, the molten metal had no place to go other
than to reform itself into the cavity made by the two
pieces of the broken rod. Presto, a new, unbroken rod.
     After it cooled, they re-installed the rod and
re-assembled the engine.
     The American was able to drive away (and probably
found a parts store on his travels).

     We might try that if some custom part breaks: press
the pieces together in some sand or proper clay and
fire up a torch to recreate the part.
[end optional story]