[Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Meeting 10/10/2017

Revolt revoltrightnow at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 18:50:51 UTC 2017

Hey everyone,
   Good discussion on this so far.  I'll add my .02 and clarify some things:

>> If someone were to actually do the research and find out how much it
>> would cost to hire an elevator repair company, maybe that’s $500,
>> maybe that’s $20,000

I've tried making the point many times before, but many of the repairs
/don't/ need an elevator repair company.  We need a machinist to fix
the gate.  All the repairs I did could have been done by any standard
electrician.  A quality union electrician runs ~$100/hr.  There are
cheaper alternatives.  I think a large part of the elevator confusion
comes from the assumption that
super-expert-vintage-elevator-repair-god is needed to do simple
repairs.  This is not the case.

>> would absolutely need to think about it if it cost $10,000 or
>> something.

I think people are throwing out the baby with the bathwater here.  I
am only asking to have a small (it can be any) amount of money set
aside for elevator repair.  I'm not sure why that needs to jump to a
discussion of thousands of dollars.  A couple hundred dollars would go
a really long way right now.  All this talk about $10K++ is really
avoiding the issue at hand and the real consensus request being made
here.  Has Noisebridge ever used its funds to even spend $100 on the
elevator?  To even consult with a single professional for 10 minutes?
No, not as far as I know.  That's what I am asking that we change.  If
that is impossible, than a small fund for parts at the very least.

>> In this actual case, this discussion led to an observer pledging money
>> to a dedicated Elevator Repair Fund nearly double the size of what was
>> originally requested, which I consider a good outcome.

This is great!  Who is this mystery person (or do they want to remain
anonymous?)  I would like to get in contact with them.  I can do some
of the research on a qualified repair person to come to NB and I can
fill them in on repairs so far.

-Zach