[Noisebridge-discuss] ADA Access for the future Noisebridge

Kevin Schiesser bfb at riseup.net
Wed Feb 28 18:10:03 UTC 2018

On 2/28/18 1:18 AM, Matt Arcidy wrote:
> Three topics, apologies for length.

> How about a public list for more general _active_ discussion, while
> people with details can keep them close on the private list?  details
> on the deck today, except identifying details, are sufficient.
> Private discussion can be had ad-hoc if necessary as well for specific
> concerns. I don't see how anything other than specific names/places
> (anything typically doxish) would be trollable.
>
> Representation:
> The following statement is relevant to the ADA discussion, but not
> aimed at anyone or anything said tonight.  It is something I feel
> strongly about in general:
>
> - Self-appointed advocates can cause harm.
>
> Not to harp on ADA since this is a universal statement, but an example
> relevant to the discussion:
> It's one thing to say "Wait, we need to consider ADA, those stairs are
> bad" as opposed to "that ramp is probably fine" when it was for
> hand-trucks, not wheelchairs.  This is only to highlight that no-one
> can really advocate unless appointed in some way.  I'm merely pointing
> this out, not calling anyone out on their good faith efforts on all
> sides of tonight's discussion.  I don't think it was explicitly said,
> and i think it's important, so I am saying it.
I don't completely follow what you're saying. Is your statement that a
self-appointed advocate with insufficient experience may error in
thinking that a ramp that works well for hand-carts also works well for
wheelchairs (or not consider the latter case at all)? The approaches
that I heard at the meeting last night and in Zach's original email to
mitigate this risk include; 1. Include people with disabilities in the
conversation early on. 2. Research what it means to be accessible (ADA
and otherwise) 3. Define a specific set of accessibility requirements
that we will absolutely not compromise on.

> Real-Estate
> I'm a little confused by some of the real estate stuff.  I lived in NY
> for 10 years which is also a very fast market, though SF is worse now.
>    LOIs seem pretty specific and potentially harmful if not drafted
> specifically to state something like "it is not the intent of this
> document to be a legally binding agreement."  Is there a lawyer on
> call that can draft one and make revisions in the time-frames
> mentioned?  If the LOI is worded correctly, it's not a big deal at all
> to sign them, and then make sure there is a good, honorable way out
> (or a good poison-pill of a big, unstated requirement that can kill it
> during due-dilligence).
>
> If the search doesn't warrant a lawyer, I would be skeptical of
> requiring an LOI at all, given how dangerous they could be, and how
> the stake for noise-bridge is much higher than what's at stake for the
> landlord.  But I'm no expert here, I just read the following for CA
> laws which seem pretty similar to NY.
> https://www.pircher.com/insights-publications-76.html
My thinking is that we have an LOI in our pocket in-case a seller asks
for one. To get the LOI right, it does need many eyes on it, including
legal eyes if there's any concern. I would volunteer to run our 'final
draft template' past the SF Tenants Union for instance. It will be
drafted with all the requisite language to be non-binding. I don't think
about this in terms of 'does the search warrant a lawyer?', but rather
'what can we do to have access to the greatest number of spaces
possible?'. It would be sad to miss out on a sweet spot only because we
were not prepared with an LOI.