[Noisebridge-discuss] Laser Cutter Retraining required starting November 11

Ruth Grace Wong ruthgracewong at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 20:59:51 UTC 2019

After only 9 days of being fixed, the laser head was knocked against
something hard and the laser went out of alignment. We had just paid $2500
to get it back up: $1800 for the new tube and $700 for a tech to come and
install it. Luckily some laser trainers were able to get this fixed
yesterday without cost (shoutout to Analog, Dany, David, Carl).

To prevent further breakages we are going to:

1) Improve our safety training to ask people to be vigilant, not only of
their own lasering but also asking others questions when they are operating
the laser in a questionable way.

2) Start a mailing list of trained users so that we can send announcements
and have discussions within the smaller laser community

3) Change the password on the laser cutter computer regularly (and inform
the mailing list). *We will change the password for the first time on
November 11, so you have a month to get retrained.*

Upcoming trainings:
1pm and 5pm at the Stupid Hackathon next Saturday Oct 19
https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/265397559/
https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/265397563/
Evenings of Sunday Oct 27 and Monday Oct 28
https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/265440605/
https://www.meetup.com/noisebridge/events/265440626/
David will schedule an additional training sometime this month, date TBD.

*Also, if you can spare it without hardship, please go to
donate.noisebridge.net <http://donate.noisebridge.net> and donate some
money.* Put the word 'laser' in your name so we know it's for the laser
cutter. I've just put in $100. The laser cutter has enabled so many cool
projects and drawn so many people to Noisebridge. The laser fund is about
dry after the tube replacement, and it would be good to have extra money
for replacement parts (mirror, clean room grade chemicals for cleaning,
etc.).

Ruth