[Powerstation-discuss] [Hackupy-discuss] Lighting

Arlen Abraham arlen.abraham at gmail.com
Wed Nov 23 02:30:36 UTC 2011

Hi Dana,

I'm not sure exactly what you have in terms of LED tape, but
preliminary poking at ebay suggested the current draw is 2A. The
instructable you linked to uses the LM317 regulator, which is only
good for 1.5A/18W
(http://www.national.com/mpf/LM/LM317.html#Overview).

There are a lot of good options out there for making simple drivers
for running the tape, but I'm not sure it's strictly necessary
depending on how the LED tape is constructed. Check the spec sheet
before connecting directly to a car battery :)

Running lighting on 12VDC is a problem that has been solved by people
who make things for RVs and cars.

The reason I like the 12VDC Christmas lights is there are no solder
joints to worry about, no heat sinks, no parts to source, no enclosure
to build, they have familiar looking parts that won't freak out fire
inspectors, etc. They just work.

That being said, if your goal here is to learn and teach, by all means
make a thing.

--a