[Rack] Network Weirdness

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Wed Apr 7 02:33:41 UTC 2010

I've heard a couple of complaints in-person and on-list about the
network at 2169.

This may be a shot in the dark, but I'm wondering if somehow the
monkeybrains uplink is being bridged into the main "inside" VLAN.

I also noticed something strange one night last week, when I just
dropped in for a minute to use "ass" to check something online and found
I couldn't get online.  I rooted the machine and examined the network
configuration, and to my surprise, I found that it was getting an IP in
the 192.168.188.0/24 subnet (our frontend to monkeybrains).

I am seeing the MAC address of the Monkeybrains CPE radio
(02:15:6d:e5:ba:fa) on the roof coming into the main Dell switch in
"penisland" on port 18 (on VLAN 1, the main "inside" VLAN).
Weird.

I can arping for some addresses (but strangely, not the CPE box) on this
subnet from pony, so I'm pretty sure things are getting crossed
somewhere.

Sadly, I haven't been able to hang around long enough lately to dive in
and figure out what's going on.
I'm hoping to come hang out on Thursday and figure out WTF is going on.

If anyone is feeling like a small adventure, see where port 18 goes.

Cheers,
jof