[Rack] request for an rj45 connection to a NB LAN

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sat Aug 7 00:10:29 UTC 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM, jim <jim at well.com> wrote:

>   in the "machine room"/storage closet, in susan
> the rack, i have two 1U machines and a linksys
> router. i'd like to connect the uplink port of
> the linksys router to some switch so's the two
> 1U boxes can see the NB LAN and through to the
> internet. the goal is to allow the two 1U boxes
> to download software from the internet.
>   suggestions?

Why are you using another unmanaged switch? I setup switch1, 2, and
3.noise so that we'll have visibility as to what's connected where,
and to prevent any forwarding loops (they all run spanning tree).

There are plenty of free ports on switch1.noise (the 48-port Dell
switch towards the bottom of the rack).

Unless you really need to route to another subnet, I'd just hook up to
switch1.noise.
Let me know if I can help.

Cheers,
jof