[Rack] Trying to understand IPv6 and how to deal with it in regards to .htaccess

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Wed Feb 24 23:08:36 UTC 2010

Excerpts from Rubin Abdi's message of Wed Feb 24 13:36:25 -0800 2010:
> Anyone got a page or something they can link me that makes some sens of
> how IPv6 address work in plain English? I'm still having a hard time
> grasping what all this shit means.
>
> Pony and the r00ter got rebooted during the shuffle to the supply
> closet, I guess that means our IPv6 local network some how got changed?
> Meaning anything on Pony that had .htaccess only allowing local area
> network traffic doesn't work over its host address (pony.noise and
> pony.local) if the client machine has IPv6 turned on. Looking for some
> information on how IPv6 works with .htaccess too.

I could probably explain better what's going on once I can poke around
on pony and see what's up.

My guess would be that we have both routers advertising global unicast
address space as well as hosts that have automatically-configured
link-local addressing (fe80::/64), and the .htaccess is referring to
one, while the name resolution of pony.local is giving something else.

--j