[Rack] problems in Susan the Rack: two machines died

jim jim at well.com
Sat Feb 27 21:36:25 UTC 2010

   many thanks for your response, rubin. all of it
makes sense.
   i'm actually at a loss to figure out why both
machines would have died at the same time in the
same way. the commonalities of someone touching
and the connection to the UPS remain, but neither
seems likely to have caused problems--they're just
the only straws around to grasp at.

   as to collaborative actions, i'd like that we
dress and route the cables and cords properly.
   as Susan the Rack is on wheels, maybe power
and cable routing should be mounted on the rack
with cables connecting to external power and
network devices coming from a limited place on
the rack and with sufficient length to allow us
to move the rack around as needed.

   as to my boxes, i took the power supply i
disassembled to my favorite shop: actnet on judah
at 27th; julie said she'd have one of her techs
see what he can discover and she'll order me
another one. i'll just leave the other box in
place until i figure out what went wrong with
the one i've disassembled.

   also, julie's prices for DDR2 RAM are about
$40 per 1G stick.
   i've asked julie for current prices of sata
ssd drives. she'll get back with what she finds.
   she's got 2TB 3.5 inch drives available.
more thanks,
jim
415 823 4590 my cellphone, call anytime