[Rack] Spam to the rack list.

Andy Isaacson adi at hexapodia.org
Mon Jun 21 21:51:45 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 01:34:00PM -0700, Rubin Abdi wrote:
> Yesterday I got notifications about 25 individual bits of spam for this
> list.
>
> http://0.starset.net/screenies/Noisebridge_-_rubin%40starset.net-20100621-133259.png
>
> Every time I get one I hand review to see if the email is legitimate or
> not. So far the list has only gotten 1 or 2 pieces of legitimate mail
> from someone who wasn't subscribed. I'm pretty sure both of these times
> the senders went and registered on the list and simply resent their message.

FWIW, we don't see anywhere near this volume of spam to the other lists;
I don't know why the rack list is so much worse off.  (AFAICS it's all
being delivered direct to rack at lists, not being redirected by any
standard aliases like postmaster@ or anything like that, either.)

> Unless someone would like to dive in head first to figure out why the
> Rack list is getting so much spam and possibly fix it, I'm going to
> start ignoring these notifications all together starting tomorrow.
>
> If you'd like to take over the task of moderating this list (or
> basically playing the garbage man), I'd be happy to pass the task off to
> you if you haven't shown what I consider to be an abuse of power here at
> Noisebridge.

It's easy to add additional moderators to deal with the backlog even if
you remain "list owner", but I'm happy to implement whatever solution
you'd prefer.

-andy