[Rack] Monkeybrains link seems to be dead.

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Tue Jun 22 21:38:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 22, 2010 at 9:37 AM, Andy Isaacson <adi at hexapodia.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 07:50:48PM -0700, Rubin Abdi wrote:
>> Andy Isaacson wrote, On 20100621 185830:
>> > The MB wireless link is up.  It was apparently a config change at their
>> > end.
>>
>> Should we change back the DHCP config to go over the mb link?
>
> Can we configure a smokeping on our end -- one each for MB and sonic --
> so that we have data about when stuff is up and when stuff is down?

I just did and found out that the NAT configuration on gorilla doesn't
work for packets destined to 192.168.188.0/24.  I'll investigate when
I'm there later tonight.  Also, the routing configuration on the
monitoring box is necessarily somewhat fragile due to the lack of a
traditional aggregation layer in the network design.  If no one
objects, I'll investigate implementing one although I doubt I'll be
able to finish the job tonight without additional help.  We have
enough ports on the soekris devices to implement carp or something and
have an active-active failover configuration instead of the manual
switchover that's currently required.

> IIRC the MB link is quite a bit fatter than the sonic link, and the
> sonic link has other stuff going over it, so moving the wifi NAT over to
> MB should balance our bandwidth usage better.  But I'd be more
> comfortable making a decision one way or another if we had more data.

Nothing seems to have changed since I measured it shortly after
install; it's about 11-16Mbit down and 256Kbps up:

down: 5242880 bytes (5.2 MB) copied, 35.2044 seconds, 149 kB/s
up: 1.99MB 0:01:27 [24.2kB/s]