[Rack] fixed: horsy audio and video

miloh froggytoad at gmail.com
Sun Nov 28 04:35:47 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 27, 2010 at 4:25 AM, Patrick Keys <citizenkeys at gmail.com> wrote:

> Horsy audio and video are fixed.
> Video was fixed earlier tonight by updating nvidia drivers and some
> configuration.
> Audio was a giant pain to fix.
> I had to completely remove and re-configured alsa (debian's sound
> manager) plus all its dependencies.

did this have to do with access and permissions or some hardware problem --
I'm curious since I donated that system to Nb.

> Some notes:
> * Microphone option needs to stay muted in the Volume controls.
> * Loud hiss noise from speakers when microphone option isn't muted.

To remotely control all audio and not just the pc-generated audio signals,
the mic input was used as a volume control.  I doubt its blown out, probably
the line is just picking up noise when you have the input enabled.  unplug
it and voila, no hiss.  People unplug it to play their audio directly into
the stereo receiver from time to time.

> * Debian on horsy is lenny, which is two years old.
> * Debian should probably be completely updated at some point.
> * VLC for lenny is also two years old, and it doesn't work.

I hear you are updating the system, doesn't seem like too much trouble since
people overpaid to do this shit day in and day out around the world.

* Use "Movie Player" icon on desktop to play video; VLC doesn't work.
> * Videos seem to be stored completely on pony, not horsy. They should
> probably be moved directly to horsy to reduce unnecessary network traffic.
> * horsy could also probably use a bigger chassis with room for a dvd
> drive and extra hard drives. i might grab an extra chassis and work on
> this myself unless somebody has any objections. let me know.

No need to replace the case, keep the video player small and quiet and
separate from the storage.  There's an optical drive on Quagga in the e-lab
that you are free to use.  Quagga has very low security (sudo is L:guest
P:noisebridge) so watch out for any kind of key logger or virile virus.

-rma