[Rack] Sonic down?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Oct 14 03:34:17 UTC 2010

On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 7:59 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 13, 2010 at 7:45 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
>> I'm wondering if it's losing link -- checking that out now.
>
> Shoot, I can't log into the modem because a login has been setup.
> Nothing obvious (to me at the moment) seems to work.
>
> Anyone know the login, or should I just factory reset it and re-configure?

I got the login off-list, it actually was pretty obvious, I just
didn't try that username.

I'm connected directly to the modem now and trying to re-create our
problem, but it hasn't happened as much (a packet or two dropped every
couple minutes -- still bad, but not as bad) in the couple of minutes
that I've been testing.

The S/N margin on the modem's diagnostics is moving around between 4
and 0.5 dB, and the downstream line attenuation is at 30 dB (this
sounds like a lot to me, but I'm not sure what's acceptable).

At this point, I'm wondering if the extra 30 or so feet of Cat5 (from
the DJ booth area to PenIsland) is causing link problems.