[Rack] Internet is borked

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Mon Oct 25 20:15:16 UTC 2010

On Mon, Oct 25, 2010 at 1:08 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
> I would be down for helping with that.
>
> Folks should review this page and possibly add in anything else that
> could help someone with little to no networking knowledge in
> troubleshooting the issue or providing the rack list with more helpful
> information...
>
> https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Network_Troubleshooting

I'll take a look at this today too.

I have the rest of this week off, and I'd like to spend most of it
doing Noisebridge-improvement projects, so any suggestions as to
things that need to get done are useful.

> Considering that I couldn't get a ping out to 172.30.0.1, I don't think
> the issue was the DSL modem. I could hit Pony from my phone going
> through Tmo. After returning to the space yesterday, the network was
> restored.

Hmm. Were you using noisebridge-a by chance? I haven't been able to
connect through there and get a lease in a while. I still need to
troubleshoot that. 802.11b "noisebridge" has been working for me
though.

> I'm thinking that setting up a spare AP off of gorilla to only serve
> DHCP with a gayeway of dot two might also be kind of helpful in these
> situations. Sadly not everyone in the space is smart enough to be able
> to change their gateway by hand.

There's no lack of APs around here (though we do have a lack of 48VDC
supplies), so it's definitely something I could setup.

Cheers,
jof