[Rack] Internet is borked

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Mon Oct 25 20:08:59 UTC 2010

Jonathan Lassoff wrote, On 20101025 125712:
> I keep trying to point people to the detailed wiki page on the network
> or the network troubleshooting page, but it just doesn't seem to get
> used.
> Since most people's usual network access gets dropped when there's a
> problem, I'm wondering if I should just print a copy and tape it to
> the door of PenIsland or something...

I would be down for helping with that.

Folks should review this page and possibly add in anything else that
could help someone with little to no networking knowledge in
troubleshooting the issue or providing the rack list with more helpful
information...

https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Network_Troubleshooting

> I suspect the DSL modem is still freaking out. After all the
> troubleshooting Dr. J and I were doing, I'm convinced the modem is
> sick and it actually wasn't having a problem getting link inside of
> PenIsland. I'm considering just moving it back into there so that I
> can have the soekrises reboot the modem with the IP PDU when it gets
> fucked up.

Considering that I couldn't get a ping out to 172.30.0.1, I don't think
the issue was the DSL modem. I could hit Pony from my phone going
through Tmo. After returning to the space yesterday, the network was
restored.

> Also, gorilla should probably be setup as a peer DHCP server so that
> both can serve leases. I'll see about doing that.

I'm thinking that setting up a spare AP off of gorilla to only serve
DHCP with a gayeway of dot two might also be kind of helpful in these
situations. Sadly not everyone in the space is smart enough to be able
to change their gateway by hand.

--
Rubin Abdi
rubin at starset.net