[Rack] [Noisebridge-discuss] Noisebridge Github Account

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Dec 15 23:35:39 UTC 2011

On Thu, Dec 15, 2011 at 3:30 PM, aestetix aestetix <aestetix at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hmm. I have very mixed feelings about this, although my opinion is
> observational at best as I don't contribute to any Noisebridge repositories.
>
> Some things to keep in mind though: there's currently a very complicated
> argument going on about digital ownership, especially in the United States.
> What happens if github decides to suspend access to the Noisebridge
> account, or they hand over access IP addresses to the government and don't
> tell anyone?

What if?

One of the beauties of DVCSes is that they ususally store the entire commit
history in each checkout. This way, even if Github takes down our account
for whatever reason, every single checkout can be used to rebuild the
history of the project somewhere.
That said, you would lose all the metadata about the project that's stored
inside of Github itself (comments, pull requests, etc.)

I don't really care about the mini-control war between hg and git, except
> to point out that there are solutions that can be locally hosted.

I only picked github, as I wanted somewhere I could put small projects
without having to worry about attracting tons of traffic to pony. The
upside is that people can very easily start collaborating, commenting, or
filing bugs on things.
Heck, there's an "edit" button in the browser there.

--j