[Rack] mchawking ip address broken

Ben Kochie ben at nerp.net
Tue Dec 20 23:11:42 UTC 2011

On Tue, 20 Dec 2011, Jonathan Lassoff wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 20, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
>       I really want to get the public IP back up for mchawking, i was trying to
>       use it to catch money thieves at noisebridge (its camera is pointed
>       straight at the moneybox) but I have been unable to do so.  The only time
>       i have to work on it is when i'm not at the space.  We can only wonder
>       whether the money box was emptied by a member putting it into the bank, or
>       a couchsurfing occupy oogle looking for a fix.
>
>       What is so broken about the routing?  Can we switch back to the old router
>       until the new one gets figured out?  Is there something I can do in the
>       server room to physically route it back to its old IP address?
>
>       somebody help!
>

> Ben, when you have a chance, would you please confirm your Vyatta configuration? My hunch is
> that the default route is still via Monkeybrains, so when traffic comes in via Sonic.net, the
> NATed traffic is still being routed out (and uRPF-dropped) via Monkeybrains.

The problem is that even if I set the default gateway to MB, it's DHCP.
Supposedly Vyatta sets a default gateway weight to avoid this, but I
haven't been able to have time to debug it.  I'll come over to NB tonight
to debug.

I'm going to setup a virtual router on stallion as a backup for bikeshed.

> This worked fine on r00ter -- you might consider reading through the then-perfectly-functional
> pf.conf file and re-producing all of the past configuration that was in there.

I already have a backup of this and implemented most of it in the vyatta
config.

> If need be, I can start looking at it, but I'm tempted to just bring r00ter back.
Let me show you where we're at tonight.