[Rack] AP on the building behind us

Dr. Jesus j at hug.gs
Thu Feb 17 02:24:32 UTC 2011

On Wed, Feb 16, 2011 at 5:37 PM, Jonathan Lassoff <jof at thejof.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 7:58 PM, Dr. Jesus <j at hug.gs> wrote:
>> I talked to Alex and he says he's willing to set us up with a public
>> static address at no additional charge to the current quote.
>>
>> We're not going to get our money's worth until whatever's slowing down
>> TCP gets fixed, though.  He says we should be getting 8-10mbit
>> symmetric, but nc | pv says we don't get anything close to that.
>
> We no longer appear to be getting NATed, so that's nice.
>
> Performance is still no where near what they're suggesting that we
> should get. I'm not sure how much of that might be due to our 133 Mhz
> CPU-only router. :p

I'm pretty sure it's not the router.  At full speed it can talk to
local machines at about 8-9 Mbps, which is way faster than the
upstream goodput via monkeybrains.  I just checked again and it's
averaging about 4 mbps down and 240 kbps up goodput through
monkeybrains' network to a one of my utility boxes 6 hops away (via
cogent, ugh).