[Rack] so... what is pony for?
jof at thejof.com
Thu Jan 6 00:16:33 UTC 2011
I don't believe that pony has any specific purpose, per se. However,
it does excel at some things better than others.
Things that it does right now:
- Connects to the laptop by the door to buzz the front gate
- Serves the webpage for the touchpanels
- Serves media for the media playing computer (horsy)
- Serves the rebar webpage for zebra (under-table Mac mini)
- Some use it as a shell server to connect to IRC from
Notice that most of these projects and functions are
noisebridge-local. It has a public IP, and has some
internet-accessible services on it, but it's internet connectivity is
pretty crappy upstream-wise so it's a really poor choice for anything
that will be accessed by more than a few people at a time.
What were you thinking of running on it? Pretty much anything is game,
as long as there aren't many people accessing it at once.
More information about the Rack