[Rack] New/replacement hardware for the wall?

Ben Kochie ben at nerp.net
Thu Nov 10 06:03:00 UTC 2011

> On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Ben Kochie <ben at nerp.net> wrote:
>> I'll have to see if the configuration is flexible enough for this to work
>> the way we want.  Right now we use dnsmasq to provide some simple local
>> DNS via the hosts file on r00ter.  We also use isc dhcpd to provide a very
>> flexable DHCP server.  I'll have to see if it's easy enough to reproduce
>> this config in vyatta's settings.
>
> I suspect that you can get something to work. The r00ter provides:
> - A DHCP daemon with some static leases. Some hosts get a different
> default route or static IP.

This is about half done.  I wrote a script to parse dhcpd.conf and spit
out vyatta commands.

http://ben.nerp.net/dhcpd-to-vyatta.py

I've added host entries to bikeshed.  Unforunately vyatta's command syntax
doesn't allow for per-host dhcpd.conf entries.  I will work on fixing
that.

The DHCP server is disabled for now until I have a chance to be in the
space to make sure it works correctly.

> - A DNS daemon that also fronts the pseudo-TLD ".noise". dnsmasq on
> r00ter is pulling out name/IP combos from /etc/hosts to populate the
> zone. These are to serve names for statically-addressed things (e.g.
> "pony.noise" points to 172.30.0.30)

This is also done, I added all of the static mappings in /etc/hosts on
r00ter to dnsmasq on bikeshed.

> - 1-to-1 NAT mappings and some port forwardings for Sonic.net static
> IPs that forward into things like MC Hawking.

We will need to attach bikeshed to the sonic subnet and assign it an IP
before we can do port forwarding.

> - QoS classification and queuing for both inbound *and* outbound traffic.

I added some QoS params to bikeshed already.