[Rack] New/replacement hardware for the wall?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Thu Nov 10 00:12:17 UTC 2011

On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 3:24 PM, Ben Kochie <ben at nerp.net> wrote:
> I'll have to see if the configuration is flexible enough for this to work
> the way we want.  Right now we use dnsmasq to provide some simple local
> DNS via the hosts file on r00ter.  We also use isc dhcpd to provide a very
> flexable DHCP server.  I'll have to see if it's easy enough to reproduce
> this config in vyatta's settings.

I suspect that you can get something to work. The r00ter provides:
 - A DHCP daemon with some static leases. Some hosts get a different
default route or static IP.
 - A DNS daemon that also fronts the pseudo-TLD ".noise". dnsmasq on
r00ter is pulling out name/IP combos from /etc/hosts to populate the
zone. These are to serve names for statically-addressed things (e.g.
"pony.noise" points to 172.30.0.30)
 - 1-to-1 NAT mappings and some port forwardings for Sonic.net static
IPs that forward into things like MC Hawking.
 - QoS classification and queuing for both inbound *and* outbound traffic.

Cheers,
jof