[Rack] 802.11n AP Up

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Wed Nov 9 19:46:42 UTC 2011

Jonathan Lassoff wrote, On 2011-11-09 07:41:
> Well, it actually just retained its old configuration and made it so
> that it was beaconing out a "noisebridge" SSID that went to nowhere.
> Doh!
>
> I shut down PoE on port ge-0/0/2 on the switch so that it should no
> longer be up.

I'm wondering if this might be the reason why that old Ruckus sucked at
83c? If not it might be in our sanity's best interest to not use that
particular device. It was extremely flake-tastic at 83c.

So the 2.4/5gHz, is that running two radios at each band?

As far as the 2.4 range goes, I would highly recommend just forcing G on
it and not bothering with N, there are plenty of old janky laptops at
the space right now with old wifi gear that are most certainly on and on
the tubes.

I'm really not a fan of autosensing/switching/putting you on what it
thinks is the right network. My other suggestion here would be to setup
a few networks/SSIDs here...

noisebridge - 2.4gHz B/G via the Cisco 1100, the default goto network
noisebridge-2.4n - 2.4gHz N via the pair of Ruckuses
noisebridge-5n - 5gHz N via the 5gHz Ruckus

I haven't seen anything or heard of anyone running strictly 802.11a gear
in the space in a long while, so I think we can power down the Ubiquiti
PowerStation once we get some 5gHz N love in there.

Jof: What do you think? I might need some explaination and some testing
on this autoswitching stuff, but again I tend to not trust it.

Also was the SSID nbWPA part of the Ruckus config too? And can be
consolodate noisebridge-tor into the whole Ruckus configuration?

I'll be at Noisebridge later tonight after grabbing drinks with a
friend, say 8PM? I can help with stuff then.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net