[Rack] Action with our Monkeybrains link, please respond if you care

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Oct 11 21:36:53 UTC 2011

So here's the current deal with our Monkeybrains link...

1. We haven't touched the link in over 6 months.
2. No one has stepped up to make that link useful in the space.
3. The link at this point in time very slow (1.6mbit/down?).
4. We're given away free money

Actions to take...

A. Within a week Andy (or if Andy would be so kind to get others added
to tech contacts for MB) starts some trouble shooting with MB to figure
out what is up with our bandwidth. We then work towards generating a
fail over system that actually works.

B. We cancel our MB subscription, return the hardware, thank them for
some good memories, save $75 a month. Call up Sonic.net, upgrade our
current DSL plan ($100 a month) to Bonded DSL ($150 a month) which'll
(almost) double our current pipe through them.

I understand having a second link is useful, but not when it's extremely
slow and just not hooked up (and more or less impossible for someone to
fail them selves over when no one tubes savy is in the space). Sonic.net
has been up and working for us fairly well, almost the entire time we've
had them, speeding them up for 2/3rds the cost of our MB link seems
worth it to me if no progress is made to make the backup more useful.

If I don't hear back on anyone wanting to put effort into plan A
(ignoring any emails about people stating we should keep the link
without actually volunteering on said project), I'm going to start
motions on plan B.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net