[Rack] Action with our Monkeybrains link, please respond if you care

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Oct 11 21:44:19 UTC 2011

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 2:36 PM, Rubin Abdi <rubin at starset.net> wrote:
> So here's the current deal with our Monkeybrains link...
>
> 1. We haven't touched the link in over 6 months.
> 2. No one has stepped up to make that link useful in the space.
> 3. The link at this point in time very slow (1.6mbit/down?).
> 4. We're given away free money
>
> Actions to take...
>
> A. Within a week Andy (or if Andy would be so kind to get others added
> to tech contacts for MB) starts some trouble shooting with MB to figure
> out what is up with our bandwidth. We then work towards generating a
> fail over system that actually works.
>
> B. We cancel our MB subscription, return the hardware, thank them for
> some good memories, save $75 a month. Call up Sonic.net, upgrade our
> current DSL plan ($100 a month) to Bonded DSL ($150 a month) which'll
> (almost) double our current pipe through them.
>
> I understand having a second link is useful, but not when it's extremely
> slow and just not hooked up (and more or less impossible for someone to
> fail them selves over when no one tubes savy is in the space). Sonic.net
> has been up and working for us fairly well, almost the entire time we've
> had them, speeding them up for 2/3rds the cost of our MB link seems
> worth it to me if no progress is made to make the backup more useful.
>
> If I don't hear back on anyone wanting to put effort into plan A
> (ignoring any emails about people stating we should keep the link
> without actually volunteering on said project), I'm going to start
> motions on plan B.

I'm somewhat ambivilent about this. If anyone cares, I'm happy to work
on getting the Monkeybrains link doing "real work" for us. I haven't
been motivated to fix this, as I don't think 2169 *really* needs
redundant connections to the Internet (though it *is* awesome, makes
the connection more resilient, and carries some nerd-cred).

$75 / month for a couple megs isn't that useful to us though. We'd get
more consistent bandwidth via a wired circuit like Sonic.
If we do add another circuit and want to bond, I think we'll need
different CPE hardware though.

Another relatively-more-evil provider, but one that's fast, would be
to get a Comcast circuit in. If we do, I'd much prefer to tunnel over
it than use them for transit, as I don't much trust them as a company.

TL;DR: if anyone cares, I'm happy to make the Monkeybrains circuit be
useful, otherwise let's just bond Sonic pairs.