[Rack] Action with our Monkeybrains link, please respond if you care

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Tue Oct 11 21:53:41 UTC 2011

Jonathan Lassoff wrote, On 2011-10-11 14:44:
> $75 / month for a couple megs isn't that useful to us though. We'd get
> more consistent bandwidth via a wired circuit like Sonic.
> If we do add another circuit and want to bond, I think we'll need
> different CPE hardware though.

I think when I switched to Bonded Fusion at home it was somewhere around
$150 for the new modem (which deals with the bonding on its own) and
installation (they'll make sure that AT&T did their job, then pair up
the circuits into the cat5 running up the side of the building for us).
I'll be happy to pay for that out of pocket at this point.

> Another relatively-more-evil provider, but one that's fast, would be
> to get a Comcast circuit in. If we do, I'd much prefer to tunnel over
> it than use them for transit, as I don't much trust them as a company.

I think having a setup like that, though nice, would provide more points
of failure to a system not many of us want to dedicate ourselves to
already. I also like giving Sonic money because they're not evil.

> TL;DR: if anyone cares, I'm happy to make the Monkeybrains circuit be
> useful, otherwise let's just bond Sonic pairs.

Well, I think the first step with plan A is to figure out what shit is
so slow. Andy, would you feel troubled for just simply shooting an email
to Monkeybrains asking what's up with our current link's bandwidth? If
it's stuck at that speed then we have our answer to how to proceed.

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net