[Rack] Mailing list request: noisebridge-release

Wladyslaw Zbikowski embeddedlinuxguy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 20:08:51 UTC 2012

Hi Jonathan, thanks for your comments. I am aware of
noisebridge-announce but I feel it's not quite the right mailing list
for this, for a few reasons.

1. I am looking for a much lower barrier for release announcements
than -announce offers. -announce is great to make a single
announcement about a new project which has made a significant
achievement of broad interest, and I would encourage people to post to
-announce as well in this case.

In the other case, I want to elicit announcements from people whose
projects might otherwise go unannounced. For instance I personally
have 5 or 10 github projects which could benefit from users, but have
not had a formal 0.1 release. I do not think these projects would be
worth reading about for most of the (1000's of) people on
noisebridge-announce and I don't feel comfortable using
noisebridge-announce for that purpose. I'd prefer to send it to a
group which has specifically opted in to this kind of announcement.

2. I envision noisebridge-release as a high-traffic mailing list which
would dwarf -announce. A young and active project may make releases
every week, if not every day. 20 or 30 people announcing weekly
releases would be overwhelming for -announce.

3. noisebridge-release could be of interest to a distinct set of
people who may not want to read -announce. For instance people at
other hackerspaces, or LUGs, or others interested in free software and
hardware who don't want to read about events at the physical space.