[Rack] Anyone managing their own mail server?

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Sun Dec 30 23:44:35 UTC 2012

I also run a personal email setup, and I do end up spending a lot of
time tuning SpamAssassin and carefully checking what it's classified,
as it often misses things (both false positives and negatives).

More popular services like Gmail/Postini or Yahoo mail have the
advantage of MANY accounts and email streams, with human trainers
behind lots of them building their database and corpora.

A strained analogy might be running a single, independent fast food
restaurant with locally sourced organic materials.
It's a much more pure and wholesome way of doing business, but the
McDonalds (Gmail,Yahoo,Hotmail,etc.) of the world have a much easier
time of centrally sourcing and analyzing their supply chains,
delivering a more consistent product (accurate spam detection) to more
users than an independent shop.
Classic economies of scale.

They aren't mutually exclusive though.... I'm experimenting from time
to time with piping my mail through Google's SMTP infrastructure, and
picking up the mail via IMAP to deliver on my personal box.
That works decently well, but Google still gets a peek at my
unencrypted mail. :(

Cheers,
jof