[Rack] how to open noisebridge door from computers

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Tue Feb 21 07:06:48 UTC 2012

On Mon, Feb 20, 2012 at 10:51 PM, Jake <jake at spaz.org> wrote:
> so the thing wasn't working when i came in tonight - it was plugged into one
> of the grey serial ports on a ribbon cable and i don't know if that's right.
>
> i also don't know if the program is running on the other end, but when i
> pressed keys on the keypad, there was no response (no Wrong buzzer or
> anything else)
>
> Did someone change serial ports?  Is the program running?

So, some things to know:
 - The gray ribbon cables with DE9 hoods on the end are proper serial
ports. The UART on the mainboard just didn't have connectors.
 -- They should also mostly all be labeled. If not, let's fix that.
 - There is a conserver instance running on minotaur that will make it
awfully difficult to communicate with any ports it thinks it's
controlling.

Currently, it's got:
switch2.noise on /dev/ttyS0
bikeshed.noise on /dev/ttyS1

There's also an apcupsd running on /dev/ttyS2.

If it's still not clear which port it is, see if you see the mainboard
model number and where it's physically cabled. We could probably get a
good idea from the manual.
Is it possible to interrogate or interact with your remote AVR? That,
or a protocol definition would be useful to debug or test the cable
run. I suspect we're really stressing the limits of what the MAX232
can drive, and some sort of test of bit error rates would be darn
useful in proving the system to be robust.

--j