[Rack] [Noisebridge-discuss] network down this afternoon, an interesting guide for people who want to help when the network goes down

John Adams jna at retina.net
Tue Jun 5 04:14:48 UTC 2012

Danny,

I wrote a pile of code that does exactly this sort of thing.  If you need
to reset hardware when the internet goes down, this might help.

First, find/buy an el-cheapo baytech power controller (like the RPC-3.)
It's a power controler that you can control over the network. I see see
these things on eBay all the time:
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=baytech+rpc-3&_sacat=0

Then, download software out of my Github repo, configure the power
controller and using my check_dsl script, you'll have a took for instant
DSL modem restarting should you lose network connectivity. That's here:
https://github.com/netik/rpc3control

WRT to DHCP, Configure two DHCP servers with DHCP Load balancing. Then, if
you lose one server, you'll still be able to service the pool:
http://www.ipamworldwide.com/dhcp-failover-a-load-balancing/dhcp-load-balancing.html

-john