[Rack] [Noisebridge-discuss] network down this afternoon, an interesting guide for people who want to help when the network goes down

Danny O'Brien danny at spesh.com
Tue Jun 5 04:28:01 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 4, 2012 at 9:14 PM, John Adams <jna at retina.net> wrote:
> Danny,
>
> I wrote a pile of code that does exactly this sort of thing.  If you need to
> reset hardware when the internet goes down, this might help.
>
> First, find/buy an el-cheapo baytech power controller (like the RPC-3.) It's
> a power controler that you can control over the network. I see see these
> things on eBay all the
> time: http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=baytech+rpc-3&_sacat=0
>
> Then, download software out of my Github repo, configure the power
> controller and using my check_dsl script, you'll have a took for instant DSL
> modem restarting should you lose network connectivity. That's here:
> https://github.com/netik/rpc3control
>
> WRT to DHCP, Configure two DHCP servers with DHCP Load balancing. Then, if
> you lose one server, you'll still be able to service the
> pool: http://www.ipamworldwide.com/dhcp-failover-a-load-balancing/dhcp-load-balancing.html

Thanks!

We actually have a bunch of failover stuff (to go between
monkeybrains/sonic), but there's been a fair bit of recent work on it,
and I suspect what we're seeing is some intermittent hardware issue
that's interfering with that. I defer to the ladies and gentlemen of
rack to actually describe what we have right now, but
https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Network#Routers

DHCP load balancing sounds a good addition, but i wonder if we might
be better off with thinking about how to simplify the network so that
it's fixable for humans when it breaks in obvious ways.

d.