[Rack] Networking as of 2013-10-02

Omar Zouai ozouai.bavc at gmail.com
Thu Oct 3 14:35:07 UTC 2013

At around 5:30pm, there was some power failure, and the battery backup shut
off. Upon restarting, the green r00ter simply would not completely boot; it
would only have the power, error, and disk light on.

After a call with MonkeyBrains, and a little while of troubleshooting,
we've managed to figure out where the line came from, and were able to
patch it through directly to the router.

If it's still how I left it, there IS NOT a firewall in place, and
everybody is given a PUBLIC IP. Please connect with caution.

Since there is a direct link between the WiFi and the antennae, I see this
as a good time to redo all of NoiseBridges networking.

Some things I plan to do are:
    --> Get the Dell PowerEdge that is offline and sitting under the switch
running as a gateway and DHCP server.
    --> Create 2-3 networks inside the space. One would be for Pony and
other essential equipment, another would be for the terminals for hardware
like the 3d printers or laser cutter. And the last would be for NoiseBridge
users to connect to.
    --> Bandwidth filtering, this is much needed, we need to have some sort
of flow control over how the bandwidth is propagated to all the users.
    --> Label all networking equipment, then create schematics.

With that in mind, if you have any other ideas, feel free to mention them.
And I do ask that if anyone has credentials to get into any of the
networking equipment, please send the info, as it would save us the trouble
of resetting everything.