[Rack] Lock Wiki Page

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Mon Apr 7 14:15:00 UTC 2014

On Mon, Apr 7, 2014 at 1:51 PM, Johny Radio <johnyradio at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: "Andy Isaacson" <adi at hexapodia.org>
>

>   I'm looking at the page at this moment, 4:50 am san francisco time.
>>>

>> Yes, the history page is also US/Pacific:
>>

> aka Tijuana time aka Greenwich -8 aka PST aka various other names.
>

>  Yes, I was reading mediawiki docs for about 15 minutes during which your
>> delightful troll edited the page, at 04:36.
>>

> Damn, he has good timing, and he's up at 430 am just to troll johny
> radio's event page. That creep really needs to get a life.
>

>  If you just want to deliver the information, stick to the basic wiki
>> formatting. You're specifically chosing to have your page look like a
>> 90s-ransom-note webpage.
>>

> I've attempted more sophisticated formatting, and seem to recall running
> into some noisebridge limitations on that. I'm super-busy, so no time to
> get involved in fancy formatting. but i do want to add emphasis here and
> there. It will have to do. People are participating in this event for the
> content, not the formatting.
>
> However, i strongly agree with your desire to bring the wiki into the 21st
> century, so perhaps you could agree to my request that you previously
> denied, to add extensions that allow 21st century web elements, like video.
> And that Courier typewriter font is so 1980's, perhaps you could remove
> that and use some attractive modern fonts.
>
> Thx for applying the protection. But I'm not seeing anything in the
> wikimedia docs indicating that new accounts are blocked by semi protection--
>
> http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Administrators#Protection
>
> maybe the new account you created did not yet 'ripple' thru the system.
>

>   Does the wiki disallow hushmail and other temp email hosts for new
>>>  accounts? If not, might that be a good idea?
>>>
>> Nope, that's definitely not under consideration.
>>

> Because? To ensure that registering, logging in, and protection have no
> effect whatsoever on preventing trolls and site-hacks?

Because who's to say that hushmail is a trollsource and gmail is not?
It's clear that your troll puts no small amount of effort into tolling you,
so I'm sure they can just as easily get a domain to receive email and make
accounts there.

Blacklisting domains for registrations is not an effective filter.