[Rack] Lock Wiki Page

Johny Radio johnyradio at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 12:51:49 UTC 2014

From: "Andy Isaacson" <adi at hexapodia.org>

>>  I'm looking at the page at this moment, 4:50 am san francisco time.
>
>Yes, the history page is also US/Pacific:

aka Tijuana time aka Greenwich -8 aka PST aka various other names.

>Yes, I was reading mediawiki docs for about 15 minutes during which
>your
>delightful troll edited the page, at 04:36.

Damn, he has good timing, and he's up at 430 am just to troll johny
radio's event page. That creep really needs to get a life.

>If you just want to deliver the information, stick to the basic wiki
>formatting. You're specifically chosing to have your page look like a
>90s-ransom-note webpage.

I've attempted more sophisticated formatting, and seem to recall running
into some noisebridge limitations on that. I'm super-busy, so no time to
get involved in fancy formatting. but i do want to add emphasis here and
there. It will have to do. People are participating in this event for
the content, not the formatting.

However, i strongly agree with your desire to bring the wiki into the
21st century, so perhaps you could agree to my request that you
previously denied, to add extensions that allow 21st century web
elements, like video. And that Courier typewriter font is so 1980's,
perhaps you could remove that and use some attractive modern fonts.

Thx for applying the protection. But I'm not seeing anything in the
wikimedia docs indicating that new accounts are blocked by semi
protection--

http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Administrators#Protection

maybe the new account you created did not yet 'ripple' thru the system.

>>  Does the wiki disallow hushmail and other temp email hosts for new
>>  accounts? If not, might that be a good idea?
>Nope, that's definitely not under consideration.

Because? To ensure that registering, logging in, and protection have no
effect whatsoever on preventing trolls and site-hacks?