[Rack] Ideas for the network rebuild

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Wed Sep 3 02:10:50 UTC 2014

Thanks for doing that Casey.

Jonathan Lassoff wrote on 2014-09-02 18:57:
> How can I get at biketrailer (love this new name!) from remote?
> Can I SSH into the old Sonic IP as vyatta? Nothing seems to be
> listening on tcp/22 or tcp/2222.

The Sonic link is still down, that is something we should have more of a
discussion about. Our options are to keep Sonic or get rid of it.

Keeping Sonic Pros:
* Sonic is good and wholesome and giving them our money is great
* Sonic is good about support
* We already have static addresses through them
* There's a good chance if someone with an official title from
Noisebridge calls them and declares that we're a 501c3, they'll give us
a discount on our bill
* It's great to have fail over for when Monkeybrains goes down

Keeping Sonic Cons:
* A few people need to spend most of a day running new cable down to the
basement
* We are spending money on the internet connection

Getting Rid of Sonic and only depending on Monkeybrains Pros:
* We don't have to deal with running ethernet down into the basement
* We would be saving some money form not paying for the Sonic link

Getting Rid of Sonic and only depending on Monkeybrains Cons:
* Needing to pay more money to Monkeybrains for a couple static IPs
* Monkeybrains is a flakier link than Sonic
* We would have no fail over when Sonic goes down
* Monkeybrains' support can also at time be flaky and hard to get ahold of

Does that sum most of it up?

--
Rubin
rubin at starset.net