[Rack] Ideas for the network rebuild

Jonathan Lassoff jof at thejof.com
Wed Sep 3 02:38:34 UTC 2014

I think that's a pretty good view of the existing built-in options.

The basement copper is so lulzy. If I'm not mistaken, there is a
Cat5-y segment hanging down from the DJ Booth to a basement window
grille, where it dips inside and is stapled along an ~east-west rafter
to a little junction box, where it's re-terminated to more cat5 and
onward to the old PacBell MPOE near the grocer in the basement.
I haven't seen it myself, but lore from Dr. Jesus is that it's a
"classic" 3/8" screw-down post.
The whole point of that junction box was to eventually run power over
some extra Cat5 pairs and colo the modem in the basement for increased
bit flow.
I don't think it's going to make a huge difference, and given how we
can't go to the basement anymore, it makes sense to keep upstairs.

I'd like to see Sonic stay around if possible.

There are some more APs up on Twin Peaks since the last time I setup
st01-noisebridge-sfo. It's probably worth rescanning and seeing what
can be reached.