[Rack] Mounting antennas on Noisebridge

Rubin Abdi rubin at starset.net
Fri Jan 22 17:32:41 UTC 2016

Hi all.

We've been wanting to do a project like this for a while however we've had
a couple constraints...

- We're still waiting on Monkeybrains to complete some work on the roof
they've agreed to do.
- Our side of the network infrastructure is currently very bare bones and
literally held together by duct tape. It needs a lot of attention.
- We are lacking in time to work on any networking projects (as long as
it's up for us it's good) as other more important projects keep on coming
up (such as getting our access control system fixed, or fund raising).
- Our line of sight to anything isn't that great, particularly the East Bay.
- We want to be respectful of Monkeybrain's ability to run their business,
so it's hard to come up with a good plan to offer the local community free
wifi while still not hosing our relationship with them.

But I'm totally open to hear what your ideas are. :)

On 21 January 2016 at 22:11, Brandon <brandonesbox at gmail.com> wrote:

> Re-sending from the email I subscribed to the list with, since I think the
> other didn't make it through:
>
> Hey all,
>
> Max, this is the networking list of Noisebridge.
> Networking list of Noisebridge, this is Max of the People's Open Network
> (the Oakland Mesh project run out of Sudo Room).
> I'm Brandon, I'm running a hackathon called Hack the Left out of
> Noisebridge Feb 5-7.
>
> Max suggested as a possible hackathon project mounting antennas on top of
> Noisebridge that would share our uplink with the surrounding community. So
> I wanted to open discussion between y'all about this.
>
> Thoughts? Opinions? Known constraints? Max, do you wanna explain the
> project in somewhat greater detail?
>
> Cheers,
> Brandon

Rubin