[schemers] Scheme meeting tomorrow, Sunday at 2pm

John Magolske listmail at b79.net
Sat Apr 9 22:05:27 UTC 2011

We'll be meeting again tomorrow, Sunday April 10th at 2pm in the
Church classroom to explore the scheme programming language:

  https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Schemers

We'll start off by going over any questions folks might have with the
SICP exercises. Then, if anyone has examples of practical applications,
code they've come across or are trying to write, we can go over that
as well. Three short topics I plan to share:

* How to install Chicken Scheme eggs without being root
* How to get up & running with Chicken Scheme's static html generator
* Integration of the Chicken Scheme Interpreter (csi) into Vim

Chris brought up the idea of assembling a "book" of sorts to capture
our explorations & describe the concepts we cover. The beginnings of
this can be found here:

  https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Scheme
  https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Scheme/Data_Types
  https://www.noisebridge.net/wiki/Scheme/Procedures

In our last meeting we went over tail call optimization. Jay wrote up
some examples to explain this concept (which I'll post to the wiki
soon as I decipher my phone-camera pic). In tomorrow's class, perhaps
we can make a prioritized list of concepts to work through for which
we can start writing up annotated code examples, etc. To get things
started, here's a list for consideration:

  recursion
  expressions
  lists
  scope
  functions
  higher-order functions
  homoiconicity

(I posted this to the -discuss list, but am posting it here as well in
case anyone's not subscribed / doesn't read -discuss.)

John

--
John Magolske
http://B79.net/contact